This week I started a new writing unit on biographies with my first graders. Previously we have been working on just general information texts like: "All about Snakes" or "All about NFL teams" or "All about Lacross". We have talked at length and studied mentor texts to help us with how to convey good information, make the best pictures we can for our readers, and include non-fiction features that can help the reader to understand the information (ie, labels, maps, headings, table of contents, etc). It has been an exciting journey and they were more than excited to learn about a "new" type of book on Monday.
Given the theme of biographies and the fact that today will mark my 100th post, I think I will attempt to document 100 "interesting" (okay, that's pretty subjective) facts about myself. After all, you may want to know more about me... (maybe).
1. I was born in Ohio, but have lived in Indiana for the past 10 years.
2. I have been a teacher for the past 6 years, all of them in first grade.
3. I have a degree in Special Education and Elementary Education.
4. My “first love” is students with special needs. I still hope to one day play the role as a special education teacher.
5. I live with the best friends a girl could ask for (4 years, and still strong!)
6. My mom and I talk every Sunday (at least). I look forward to it every week. Sometimes I can’t wait and have to call her on Saturday!
7. I am allergic to toothpaste and cinnamon gum.
8. I have never broken a major bone. (Does a toe count?)
9. When I was in first grade I was in a ballet class. I was so nervous about the recital, I made myself sick to get out of it. I never took another dance class.
10. My parents were divorced when I was 5. As a result, I have two wonderful step-parents in my life!
11. As a kid, we mainly had cats growing up. I can remember only one dog: Ubu- like the commercial “Sit Ubu, sit”.
12. I graduated high school in a class of 91 students. I currently only keep in touch with two of them.
13. My ten year high school reunion is this summer. I am still contemplating going or not.
14. I failed my driver’s license test the first time I took it. I cried on the couch for hours afterwards!
15. I don’t like coconut.
16. My favorite book is My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok, but I am always looking for new titles to love.
17. I played volleyball in high school but was never really good enough to pursue it later in life.
18. I have a serious weakness for ice cream.
19. Number 18 is why I had to give ice cream up for Lent.
20. Within one year I went to Cambodia, France/Spain, and Thailand. I loved them all!
21. In college, I actively pursued the option of becoming a missionary overseas.
22. I always tell my students that my favorite animals are giraffes and elephants. That is true, but also I say this because I can draw them when I have to model writing in writing workshop.
23. I didn’t learn to love non-fiction texts until I became a teacher.
24. South America and Africa are two continents I would still like to visit.
25. I got my nose pierced 4 years ago. I love it. No regrets!
26. I have short hair. I am a short hair advocate! I don’t think I will ever go back to long locks.
27. I started “running” this past summer. I ran in two 5k races and dressed up like a turtle in one. 28. I plan to run at least 3 more races this upcoming summer.
29. I have never considered myself an athlete or a runner. Still don’t.
30. I went to a Christian school from grades 5-12 and a Christian college. I loved my experiences at both!
31. Although, I have always wondered what it would have been like to go to a major university.
32. I wish I had had the courage to apply to an Ivy League school when I was looking at colleges. I probably wouldn’t have gotten in, but trying would have been the first step.
33. I have an amazing sister. She is 7 years older than I am, and now that we are both adults, we have a lot of fun together. Growing up was mainly one fight after another!
34. My step sister gave me three fantastic nephews: Kole, Reid, and Will. I wish I could see them more often.
35. I love to ride my bike. In the summers we like to ride and get ice cream!
36. Jimmy Fallon is quite possibly my dream man. I mean, he is funny, adorable, and SO talented. I wish I could stay up late and watch his show every night.
37. My mom DVR’s Late Night with Jimmy Fallon for me. So, when I go home to Ohio, I have a ton of old episodes to pick from!
38. I have never bungee jumped or been sky diving, but I would like to try both!
39. I was once offered a teaching job in Korea. I seriously considered it until telling my family. Then I turned the job down.
40. From the age 16 until I was out of college I worked in a library. I loved it!
41. When I was young I wanted to be the first woman President. Now I don’t even have an interest in politics.
42. I can’t handle the idea of veins, or a pulse, or blood pressure. Talking, thinking, and even knowing about them sometimes make me feel like passing out.
43. I love spicy food!
44. I was pulled over twice last week.
45. I got a warning both times! J
46. I grew up in church, and believe that church and community in a church can be a powerful thing, but I haven’t regularly attended a church in a year and a half.
47. I wish I could find a church.
48. My first boyfriend was a twin.
49. My idea of “world news” is to read Yahoo! news articles or US weekly.
50. I hate to wear socks- even in the winter!
51. I have a small tattoo on my right foot.
52. Last summer my aunt taught me how to make jell-o shots.
53. I have taken several pottery classes and loved “throwing” on the wheel.
54. I can be a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to organization.
55. I am afraid of horses. They have such big teeth!
56. I never had a nickname growing up. I always wanted one.
57. My senior year of college I lived off campus with friends. It was one of the best experiences of my life!
58. I won a teaching award in college.
59. I once spelled the word spaghetti wrong while my principal was evaluating me. Oops.
60. For my 16th birthday my dad gave me a Roth IRA. I thought it was going to be a car. I ran out of the room crying in front of everyone.
61. I wish I hadn’t started this list.
62. I am beginning to wonder if anyone will actually read all of these ridiculous things!
63. I have a pet Tarantula in my classroom. His name is Chester.
64. No, I don’t take him out and hold him. Gross.
65. When I was little I was playing house and decided to “iron” the bedspread. I ended up putting large iron marks in the carpet of my dad’s apartment. Years later I learned that because of me, he didn’t get his deposit back on that apartment.
66. I want to learn to sew. I am afraid that it is a dying art. Who will hem pants for the younger generation?
67. I used to think that the Classics were the only books worth my time. Rubbish. Now, I can’t remember the last time I read a Classic!
68. I love to travel. I am already having a hard time fitting all of my trips in for the summer.
69. I started my Master’s degree almost two years ago.
70. I will graduate this July! J
71. In high school I fell on risers in front of my entire choir class.
72. I didn’t start wearing glasses until I was a freshman in high school.
73. I didn’t start wearing contacts until I was a freshman in college.
74. I never used to wear dangly earrings. I was afraid it would rip my ear on accident.
75. Now I hardly go a day without a pair of big dangly earrings!
76. I started this blog because a friend made me create one. I kept it a secret for a long time.
77. I once saw a man get shot.
78. I used to have a rabbit when I was a little girl. I can’t remember his name at all. Neither can my mom or my sister.
79. I had twin baby dolls as a little girl. I named them Andy and Amy.
80. The password that I use for most things is a made up word from 7th grade.
81. I have had the same email address since 6th grade.
82. I have always wanted to adopt children someday.
83. Chap stick is my biggest addiction.
84. Two years ago I started going to a Zumba class. I still feel ridiculous, but it is exercise that puts a smile on your face!
85. I save tons of artwork from my students every year. In the summer time I get it out and look at all of it. It makes me happy.
86. I have never been water skiing.
87. I had to cheat on my Ohio Boating License. It took 4 of us and three computers (using Google) for me to pass!
88. I am new to twitter. I don’t entirely get it. I haven’t “tweeted” yet.
89. I learned how to play Angry Birds from a 2 year old.
90. Singing has never been one of my talents, but I was once in a Winnie the Pooh musical. I played Eeyore.
91. One of my collections as a little girl was of miniature tea sets. I think I still have them all.
92. This list took a lot longer than I expected.
93. My favorite movie is “Shawshank Redemption”.
94. I tell my first graders that my favorite color changes. I just don’t want to commit.
95. Retirement and understanding my finances is something that I worry about. A lot. (I am 27 years old currently).
96. If I ever get married, I am not sure I would have the traditional wedding.
97. I once put salad dressing all over an old boyfriend’s brand new car.
98. In first grade, I stole a mini stapler from my teacher. Later I lied to her about stealing it.
99. I hate diet pop.
100. The Slice of Life group is such a great community. I feel lucky to be a part of it!
Are you still there?